Sunday, March 22, 2009

finished Solomon's temple with pics

The goal was finish this month... I met my goal for once!!
There it is, the dimensions of the building is 20 inches wide, 38.5 inches long, and 14 inches tall.
Storage rooms are removable so you can see inside.
More storage
I made a stair case to allow access to the upper levels of storage rooms.
Here you can see the stair cases stacked over each other.
The wall decoration, tables, lampstands, and you can see the incense altar and veil.
More wall decorations.
A better view of the veil and incense altar complete with smokey incense effect, and you can glimpse the poles of the arc of the covenant protruding through the veil.
The doors in front of the holy of hollies can close in front of the curtain.
The wall detail of the holy of holliesYou can see the backs of the 15 foot tall cherubim, curtain, and hidden in all that "gold" is the ark of the covenant.
A better shot of the cherubim, the feathers on the wings being made of my favorite lego piece... The minifig hand.
Here you can see the finished ark of the covenant, the design for which came during my devotional one morning.
The entrance into the storage rooms.
A picture of the door with the upper levels of storage units removed.
The front face of the temple with the pillars and priests in front.
Looking in through the gate.
All ten water basins lined on my book shelf.And a closeup.

One of the pillars in the front.The capitals are made from robot bodies and arms, and are meant to resemble lilies.
The sea with all twelve cows/oxen supporting it. I spent 3 days straight designing the cows and the sea was my first major spherical project.
The altar could have come out smoother, but I chose this method, in the name of cheapness.
One of the sheep that will be used to make it look more scene-like.
The same priest minifigs, but I figured I need to show everything right?


This project took 13 months to complete(not counting the several weeks to get and decide to act on the inspiration), from the first step on the leocad till I placed the final roof piece on at 12:25 this morning. As for the total cost, I do not know the exact number (yet), but it exceeded $1000, and as for the piece count all I know is that it exceeded 14,000 LEGO pieces.

The dimensions can be found in,First Kings (Chapters 5-8) and 2 Chronicles (Chapters 1-7).

I thank God for all He has done, in providing the immense amount of funds and inspirations for this project.
Thanks to my pastor for his help on the dimensions and how the parts should be built.
My family and there constant support in this endeavor.
The other families who expressed interest and supported this project, and helped fuel my urge to hurry up, and finish. :-D
A thanks to all the bricklink stores and their excellent service.
And finally the LEGO company for making such an excellent and addicting product!

I hope you have enjoyed this, and that somehow this will benefit someone with there personal walk with God.

With that I bid thee good night, or depending on when you are reading this: morining, afternoon, or day. ;-)

28 comments:

One of the Wassenbergs said...

Nice!! I like the water basin.



Thanks!


His Son,
Caleb

One of the Wassenbergs said...

Congratulations! It looks really nice! I'm sure you're glad it is finished!

Maybe we can see it in person sometime! :)

Kimber

One of the Wassenbergs said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! After about a large amount of years-2-3?-You have FINNALY FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-D :-D :-D :-D YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT ENOUGH WORDS TO DESCRIBE MY JOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I WONDER IF I HAVE DONE ENOUGH OF THESE (!!!!!!) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

























































OK I'LL STOP NOW--------MABE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






SEE YOU WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!







HIS PRINCESS,
??????

Thomas said...

OK who left all the exclamation points?

One of the Wassenbergs said...

Don't you know that you aren't supposed to know!

That's why it said "His Pricess,
??????" Just for a hint look at how many ?'s there are-that's how many letter's are in my name-and remember I said-"SEE YOU WED."

BYE-
His Princess,
??????

Thomas said...

I was wondering why my comment wasn't showing up, turns out I didn't scroll ALL the way down. As to guessing it could be: Kimber(unlikely as she already posted), Hannah (I MIGHT could see her doing this, but still unlikely), Josiah(umm I don't think he speaks English particularly well much less type), or Alexis (who couldn't be it because.... umm... wait, she matches it perfectly!!! plus your signature closing)

So I choose answer choose "D". :-D
Yes I can't wait to see you guys Wed too.

Winnie said...

A very impressive work of art, indeed! It's wonderful to see the fruit of your labor. What a blessing and sacrifice to the Lord this is. There are so many pieces I can't wait to see up close and personal, like the cows, and especially the cheribum. I'm seeing a full credit here as an elective...hint, hint.
As for the length of time it took, well, you can't rush creative genius, is my opinion.

Joseph Armtstrong said...

Very nice man. I the inside is amazing. Your uses of minifig hands. is amazing. I gonna recommend this to the brothers-brick.

Anonymous said...

WWWOOOWWW!!! That is SO cool. That must have taken a LOT of patience. It looks great. I'll see you all on Thursday.

God bless
Hannah

Navy5577 said...

Now that takes time and study! Great job! Fantastic! Keep up the good work. Maybe you could convert it to a slide show and put it on U-Tube.

God bless you and yours.

Andy

Unknown said...

Hi Thomas,
Your work is amazing. I am really interested in doing this myself. Is there any way I can contact you.
weinsteinkids@gmail.com
Thanks,
Uziel

Proudlove said...

Very cool. I've often considered doing Herod's temple at this scale but all I accomplished was a micro version.

Thomas said...

to Uziel: embarking on a project of this scale requires a lot of work and God's support(as does everything). I say again funding exceeded $1000. That said if you still are interested I would direct you to the first posts, it should give an outline of what I had to do.

To everyone else thank you for your feedback and glad you enjoyed viewing this project.

Timothy said...

My congratulations on your accomplishment... the details on the walls and doors are amazingly creative!

I recently built the SLC temple out of LEGO... if interested, I attached the link.

jdarlack said...

Brilliant! Simply brilliant. I love it.

Patti Arthur said...

I just happened to find this blog as I was doing research (GOOGLE!) on Solomon's Temple for my youth for this summer. I am the minister at St. Peter's Lutheran Church in Toms Brook, Virginia. I just wanted to tell you that your creation is AMAZING!!! WOW! Thanks for sharing it on the web!
Patti Arthur

Bryan said...

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get the unique priest body figure? I'm pretty sure i have never seen something as accurate as that hit the market...haha this is incredible. Your attention to detail is impeccable and i am once again amazed at what people can do with this simple yet awesome toy

Unknown said...

Incredible, Thomas!!! Just amazing and that is all I can say. Thanks for the pictures! Susan

joelle said...

wowwwwwww thats great work God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic job! a real work of art. only question is where is the porch? (2 Chr. 3:4) All Phoenician designed temples had similar set ups.

Thomas said...

I made the porch, the shorter part of the building just behind the main doors.

Anonymous said...

Amazing work, Thomas. Did you take any notes to post anywhere with LEGO so that, if someone just had a couple thousand laying around, they could replicate your work? And do you ever plan to (insanely) dismantle this project? (I'm not saying you should, but any moving plan may necessitate it.)

Also, I see some have asked about your "costuming" on the minifigs. Looks like you made them yourself; how did you apply the art w/o using label stickers?

Finally, you might do a quick search and replace of "Holy of HOLIES" for "holy of HOLLIES." It's an honest mistake, but I must confess it gave me a few chuckles. Made me "pine" for Christmas... okay, bad pun.

Anyway, again, beautiful design. My kids are just studying Solomon's Temple in our homeschool Bible curriculum. Can't wait to show them this project--they'll never forget such a charming and thoroughly fun depiction!

James said...

Hey man, this is utterly amazing! I thank God for giving you such creative mind!

ROMERO said...

You did a spectacular job on Solomon's tTemple. I know it is 2 years later but is it still intact? Did you sell it? Is it on display somewhere? What new projects are you working on? Praise be to God for such talent!

Nikki said...

Is your LEGO temple still assembled?

Thomas said...

The Temple model is still (more or less) fully assembled. Actually it is in need of a permanent home other than my parents' coffee table.

Kenneth Rowan said...

how much would you sell it for? please email me via pastorrowan@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

Hi Thomas,

I am a 16-year old german boy and I've found your blog some days ago, when I surfed the internet because I made a research for my project on building the tabernacle. I did so, but the priests (and the high priest) were missing until now. So I had the idea - when I read your blog and saw the pictures - to build the priests from LEGO by myself and I even found all the pieces. But I'm kind of envious :) of your photoshop skills and how you designed the Efod and the priestly robe in a very detailed way.
My question now is, if you are so kind and could send me these files, so I can print and glue it by myself on my LEGO priests. It would be very great! :D

I'm sorry for my bad English but I hope you understood my request. So, if you can see a way to send me your photoshop files, I will be very glad.
If so, please just answer me in a short comment, so I can give you my e-mail.